The Meraki MX devices gives you an easy way of automaticly use 2 uplinks. It works seamlessly but it’s hard to do some configuration that is possible on other Cisco devices.
One of those is to deny specific devices to connect over only 1 of the uplinks. Let’s say that WAN 1 is a fiber connection. You got enogh capacity to send and receive all kind of traffic. WAN 2 on the other hand is a sattelite connection. The 2 big drawbacks with sattelite is latency and speed. Sometimes even the cost per MB transferred. Often the guaranteed bandwith on a satelite connection could be as low as 64 kb/s. It’s not much bandwith for other devices then.
Then the big question is, how do you limit the connection to only use WAN 1. This could be a device that sync data every hour and would generate traffic or a whole subnet with guest wifi users. You don’t want these devices use your costly satelite connection. You do most likely need it for business critical applications.
I spent a few good hours trying to find a solution to this. I asked help from Meraki and various forums. I always got told that traffic shaping should help etc. But the only thing it does is giving me the preferred uplink, it never blocks the traffic from going online if the other WAN connection is down.
The solution I came up with was to turn off NAT when you use the interface that should be blocked. All the devices behind the Meraki that should be blocked does need to be in a seperate VLAN. In version 15 you can exclude specific VLAN from the NAT policy on the uplinks. The traffic will then stop since there is no return route for the traffic (as long as youo don’t add a static route).
So in the above example we want VLAN 20 to only have access over WAN 1 and not WAN 2. You start by finding the network you want to do the change on in the Meraki Dashboard. Then go to Security & SD-WAN and Adressing and VLAN’s on the left side. In the bottom of the page you have NAT exceptions where you can choose to disable NAT on the different uplinks. In my screenshot I have excepted Crew network from the NAT policy. With this config the devices on Crew VLAN can’t use WAN 2/Uplink 2.
I got a new error while updating a SRX650 from the Juniper Network and Security Manager. The error started after I upgraded the SRX650 to 12.1X47-D30. The error I got is shown below:
Update fails UpdateDevice Results
GenerateEditConfig Failed .
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rpc-reply message-id="1" xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0" xmlns:junos="http://xml.juniper.net/junos/12.1X47/junos" xmlns:nc="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
unlock Success .
It’s saying that the destination nat section has problems setting the dst-port. For some reason it was deleting the value and creating it with a new command (dst-port).
I then checked the supported Junos versions on the NSM and I discovered that the last supported version was 12.1X47-D25. Did the downgrade and updated the OS in the NSM. Still the same error as before.
Spoke to JTAC and they informed me that this error was known and that it would help downgrading to D15. This was due to a changed command in Junos. I downgraded to D15 but still the same issue. Researched a bit myself and discovered that it was introduced between X46 and X47.
Earlier it had not been possible to downgrade the versions in NSM. But for some reason I was able to do it now. First from D30 to D25, and after that from X47D15 to X46D40. When I reached X46D40 I was able to run the update and everything was working.